1. When it comes to selecting table tennis tables, the top is an important aspect to consider. Typically, the thicker the top, the better the bounce. 1/2-inch thick tops are fine for residential play; 3/4-inch-thick tops are suitable for international play; international competition table tennis tops run at least 1-inch thick.
2. Surface material is another important feature to consider as you browse table tennis tables. Medium density fiberboard (MDF) is suitable for indoor recreational and at-home play. Outdoor table tennis tables with sealed surfaces such as melamine, laminate, or aluminum are recommended.
3. The rail or apron (also known as edge-banding) of a ping pong table provides additional support and stability, as well as a clean, attractive appearance. A wide variety of materials are used for the rail, ranging from heavy-gauge steel to PVC. Any rail or apron is better than none.
5. If you're looking to develop your table tennis ability with solo practice, a ping pong table with playback position may be for you. These ping pong tables allow one half of the table to be positioned upright to return shots so you can sharpen your skills anytime.
6. Table tennis is also known as ping-pong. In 1903, the Table Tennis Association and the Ping Pong Association, both of England, merged to form "The United Table Tennis and Ping Pong Association," which later became the Table Tennis Association. This laid the groundwork for the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF), which is the preeminent governing body for the sport.
7. You'll find that some ping pong tables carry ITTF-approval, as well as ping pong tables approved by the USA Table Tennis (USATT).
8. Regulation size for a table tennis playing surface is 9L x 5W feet, standing 30 inches from the floor. A regulation ping pong net measures 72L x 6H inches, extending 6 inches from the table edge on each side.
9. If you're looking for a few good reasons to purchase table tennis tables, consider these: table tennis is great exercise, easy on your body, and fun for all ages, all at an affordable price for something you can enjoy anytime in your own home.